Saturday, July 7, 2012

Movie Review: The Darkest Hour



Movie Review:
Title: The Darkest Hour
By Summit Entertainment
Held at both Salem & Twin Lakes branches
DVDFEATURE DVD DAR

This Sci-Fi, PG13 movie was definitely a surprise.  To be honest, I wasn’t expecting much when I sat down to finally watch this recently acquired film; however, the fast pace, interesting characters, and surprising twists kept me cheering for the survival of the human race.      

The Darkest Hour is set in Moscow where our twenty-something protagonists try to stay alive after the invasion of an invisible alien species.  After what seems an electric light show on the streets of Moscow, people are zapped into oblivion and panic ensues.  Not being able to see what’s hunting them down adds to the chaos and the tension soars.  During the initial attack, our four young people find their way to the basement of a night club where they hide for days.  When they venture out they find the city in ruins with few survivors. 
I found The Darkest Hour very entertaining and the fact that it was geared toward the PG13 market made for a fantastic movie that was exciting without the gore.  And like Independence Day, I found myself cheering for the human race as they devised a plot and began to fight back. 
While I felt the ending wasn’t as satisfying as it could have been, I found the missing element I needed in the behind the scenes footage where we learn about other groups of survivors and how they work together to find a way to defeat the aliens.             

Cast:  Emile Hirsh, Olivia Thirlby, Max Minghella and Rachael Taylor
 
Produced by Timur Bekmambetov and directed by Chris Gorak.

(review submitted by Kathy Helgesen)


Search This Blog